Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: computer probs... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
fenix
Officer
Officer

Online Status: Offline
Quote fenix Replybullet Topic: computer probs...
    Posted: 26/October/2006 at 4:44pm
im on fall break and back at home to do absolutely nothing... luckily, i have planetside on my parents computer, so i thought i'd jump on and pass the time. however, im not only having problems just starting the launchpad, but things in general are a bit sketchy.

first off, both my parents profiles are allegedly fine -- no problems reported with anything. however, on my account, i am unable to change a lot of appearance settings.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1511/desktopdo9.jpg (sorry, but it wont let me make it clicky)
there is a lovely picture of my desktop. as you can see, i was able to change the color of the taskbar, but i cannot change the background image/color, the setup and location of the icons, or any mouse appearance settings.

as if thats not sketchy enough, when i try to run launchpad, i get the following message every time:

i am a computer administrator, so its not an issue with system rights. they have norton installed with a current subscription that is updated with the most recent definitions. its a very new computer that worked fine the last time i was on it (a couple months ago), so im not quite sure whats going on now.

anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix this? it seems awfully virusy, but it seems to only be affecting my profile (granted, i dont think my parents mess around with their appearance settings much, if any at all).

IP IP Logged
AquaNox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote AquaNox Replybullet Posted: 26/October/2006 at 4:58pm
Hmm well it appears that The Station LaunchPad is unable to connect to the network at this time.  Maybe you should try again in a few minutes?  ...Did you really need help to realize that? pshhh....
IP IP Logged
fenix
Officer
Officer

Quote fenix Replybullet Posted: 26/October/2006 at 4:59pm
teach me your ways 
IP IP Logged
Stairway
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Stairway Replybullet Posted: 26/October/2006 at 5:19pm
Its norton, I had the same issue on my old computer.  Log onto which ever parents account installed norton and then try to run planetside.  When you run it will say "Allow Planetside to connect to the internet" or somthing like that and you choose the option of "allow always".  You have to do this whenever there is a new patch, its a pain in the ass.

Hope this helps, im almost 100% that this is the issue.
IP IP Logged
fenix
Officer
Officer

Quote fenix Replybullet Posted: 26/October/2006 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Stairway

Its norton, I had the same issue on my old computer.  Log onto which ever parents account installed norton and then try to run planetside.  When you run it will say "Allow Planetside to connect to the internet" or somthing like that and you choose the option of "allow always".  You have to do this whenever there is a new patch, its a pain in the ass.

Hope this helps, im almost 100% that this is the issue.

i had a similar suspicion. i continued to poke around in nortons workings to see if i could find anything about allowing programs, etc. curiously enough, while doing that, after having done nothing, i tried to connect again, and voila, it connected (after norton asked if i wanted to allow it).

norton is so fickle.

however, this doesnt explain the inability to change any appearance settings. this normally wouldnt be such a pain, except that i enjoy having a rather sensitive mouse so that i can go from one corner of the screen to the other in one sweeping motion, not the metronomical trek it currently requires.
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 27/October/2006 at 10:09am
norton is a f**king joke!

Ball punching for Teh Win!

IP IP Logged
Jbanicar
Officer
Officer

Quote Jbanicar Replybullet Posted: 27/October/2006 at 11:34am

What's the industry's top program?

IP IP Logged
Fayaz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Quote Fayaz Replybullet Posted: 27/October/2006 at 2:09pm
For a firewall? Hardware-based. Just a regular ol' linksys router blocking indiscriminately, with a program like NetworkMagic to map and unmap ports on requests. It'll also free up system resources.

As for live-protect services that scan email, attachments, downloads and such, forget that stuff, the best "program" is common sense. Schedule a virus scan (& definitions upate) once a week if you need the peace of mind.
IP IP Logged
fenix
Officer
Officer

Quote fenix Replybullet Posted: 27/October/2006 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Fayaz

For a firewall? Hardware-based. Just a regular ol' linksys router blocking indiscriminately, with a program like NetworkMagic to map and unmap ports on requests. It'll also free up system resources.

As for live-protect services that scan email, attachments, downloads and such, forget that stuff, the best "program" is common sense. Schedule a virus scan (& definitions upate) once a week if you need the peace of mind.

i agree; however, most of the industry is aimed at the older generations that still cant find the "any key." so some of their tools are understandable, but norton is quite a load for the pain it causes.

also, i've still not found a way to change most of the appearance settings. having the standard mouse speed is really skating my contentions; has anyone ever heard of issues with changing desktop images, icon arrangement, mouse settings, etc?
IP IP Logged
Xenetic
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Xenetic Replybullet Posted: 29/October/2006 at 3:47am
I see the overlords are still mooching off others forums...

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version