Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: where i live (video inside) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 16/July/2006 at 4:01pm
I would love nothing better than to go completely off the grid.

My expected goal by the time I die is to at least reach 75% self-sustained lifestyle.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 16/July/2006 at 4:17pm

cool.

My sophmore year of college i seriously was looking into self-sustained living places in areas like Missouri and elswhere. Pretty interesting concept, small group of folks, cultivate food, and make products to sell online(hamocks I think). So they weren't entirely off the grid, but I think in today's world that is almost impossible.

Unless you bought a remote island somewhere, and even then....

But then I got off track with trying to finish school first and other things, and the main thought of that would be a MAJOR leap, going from PC-head suburbanite chained down by all the habits of Western Civilization, and trasitionining to this primarily agrarian lifestyle. Just wasn't ready for it. We will see in a few years.

I also recently got reinvigorated with the environmentalist ideas, and was just about to go work for a fundraising campaign this summer before I found out some nasty things, and was denied entry(aka I shot myself in the foot because I was a "whistleblower" before I even got the job lol).

Oh well...

And my buddy from HS just graduated from St. Marys and plans to go into Environmental law. I really think our whole environmental crisis is the ULTIMATE elephant in the room-and a huge agenda for my generation to deal with, not unlike the Great Depression was for our grandparents.

Good thing now is we have a rather popularizing movement to curb stuff like global warming etc. Freaking MTV ran this little special in conjuction with Al Gore's recent film, and while pretty lame, it's better than nothing.

It is just f**king digusting how we basically screwed up our one and only planet in a little less than 200 years. And I am also to blame by going along with this direction. I do the little things like recycle and try and conserve, but when push comes to shove, I just fall back in line with the rest of society.

How old is the Earth? 300 billion?

200 years and it's falling apart.

Course we are just a freaking blip on the time scale of the universe, an insiginifigant speck of life one tiny corner of space.

IP IP Logged
MadDawg
Officer
Officer

Quote MadDawg Replybullet Posted: 16/July/2006 at 5:40pm

Good read

IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Tybox

cool.

My sophmore year of college i seriously was looking into self-sustained living places in areas like Missouri and elswhere. Pretty interesting concept, small group of folks, cultivate food, and make products to sell online(hamocks I think). So they weren't entirely off the grid, but I think in today's world that is almost impossible.

Unless you bought a remote island somewhere, and even then....

But then I got off track with trying to finish school first and other things, and the main thought of that would be a MAJOR leap, going from PC-head suburbanite chained down by all the habits of Western Civilization, and trasitionining to this primarily agrarian lifestyle. Just wasn't ready for it. We will see in a few years.

I also recently got reinvigorated with the environmentalist ideas, and was just about to go work for a fundraising campaign this summer before I found out some nasty things, and was denied entry(aka I shot myself in the foot because I was a "whistleblower" before I even got the job lol).

Oh well...

And my buddy from HS just graduated from St. Marys and plans to go into Environmental law. I really think our whole environmental crisis is the ULTIMATE elephant in the room-and a huge agenda for my generation to deal with, not unlike the Great Depression was for our grandparents.

Good thing now is we have a rather popularizing movement to curb stuff like global warming etc. Freaking MTV ran this little special in conjuction with Al Gore's recent film, and while pretty lame, it's better than nothing.

It is just f**king digusting how we basically screwed up our one and only planet in a little less than 200 years. And I am also to blame by going along with this direction. I do the little things like recycle and try and conserve, but when push comes to shove, I just fall back in line with the rest of society.

How old is the Earth? 300 billion?

200 years and it's falling apart.

Course we are just a freaking blip on the time scale of the universe, an insiginifigant speck of life one tiny corner of space.

I agree on most points you raise.

I'm not an extremist.  I am not anti-"progress".  I was given a Sierra Club membership for xmas and they have done nothing but piss me off. 

So.  I guess my main intention for getting away from it all is to escape the idiots that seem to be popping up lately. 

I'm sick and tired of people who are so stuck on themselves, their car, their bank account, their public appearance, or any number of other shallow insecurities that they become inconsiderate pricks. 

I'm not a "give everything to the poor" type either.  But f**kin' a man, I'll at least show them some compassion and respect.  Common f**king courtesy.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
AquaNox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote AquaNox Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 4:58pm
Emerson and Thoreau would give this thread two thumbs up
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 5:08pm

Who knew Sol and I were hippie-gamer kindred spirits?

IP IP Logged
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 9:10pm
havn't you heard? green is the new red white and blue. beyond green tho, i feel a backlash coming in regards to the intrusiveness of advertising in our lives, which teach us those things you mentioned sol.

but yeah, THE issue for this century isn't the middle east, it isn't even china, it's global climate change.
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Fidelio

havn't you heard? green is the new red white and blue. beyond green tho, i feel a backlash coming in regards to the intrusiveness of advertising in our lives, which teach us those things you mentioned sol.

but yeah, THE issue for this century isn't the middle east, it isn't even china, it's global climate change.

Fid, advertising is only going to get worse.  I know this for a fact.  I've worked with huge personal data stores at several corporations, as soon as something like RFID is adopted by the general public these corps are going to have a field day.. 

I've wished many many many times over for a backlash against greed....or for it even to return to being a trait of few rather than the majority...  I'd be content with some tool hoarding more money that he can ever spend as long as it means he doesn't try to influence my life and the people around me are decent human beings.. 

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Verdant Force
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Verdant Force Replybullet Posted: 17/July/2006 at 11:03pm
Greed is destroying the world.
and the problem is the people who can do anything about it, the people in power, Are the greediest people out there.
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 18/July/2006 at 12:52am
f**k the rich, tax their assess off.

Who needs millions of dollars?

"Get mine while the getting is good" is messed up.

You got room for me in Canada?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version