Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Wow @ new car Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
NaeBlis
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote NaeBlis Replybullet Topic: Wow @ new car
    Posted: 26/September/2006 at 2:03pm
http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/15/technology/disruptors_eestor.biz2/index.htm
I totally need to buy some of their stock...if it's public

Teh Nibblies
IP IP Logged
AquaNox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote AquaNox Replybullet Posted: 26/September/2006 at 2:19pm
That would be pretty sweet, hopefully it all works out.
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 26/September/2006 at 2:22pm
For a second I thought Blizzard made a World of Warcraft car or something similar, heh.
IP IP Logged
masterman4

Quote masterman4 Replybullet Posted: 26/September/2006 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by NaeBlis

i
I totally need to buy some of their stock...if it's public

Yeah that would be a very good idea to do so
IP IP Logged
Verdant Force
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Verdant Force Replybullet Posted: 26/September/2006 at 8:16pm
im all for the eletric car deal, but gas is really only a VERRY small percentage ( somewhere betwen 2 and 5%) of all oil use. so even if evre car today was electric, we would still be in pretty much the same boat.

stll, its nice to know things are starting to change.
IP IP Logged
fenix
Officer
Officer

Quote fenix Replybullet Posted: 27/September/2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Verdant Force

im all for the eletric car deal, but gas is really only a VERRY small percentage ( somewhere betwen 2 and 5%) of all oil use. so even if evre car today was electric, we would still be in pretty much the same boat.

stll, its nice to know things are starting to change.

but i would think that this new kind of technology could be transferable to many other mechanics using oil.

the only problem? where does the electricity that charges the cell come from? oil.

while as verdant was saying, its a good step towards change, but its not going to save the world by itself
IP IP Logged
Verdant Force
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Verdant Force Replybullet Posted: 27/September/2006 at 2:04am
the problem is not that we use oil as an Energy souce,
we use it for EVRETHING. look around your room, try to find somthing that is not made from oil, or used oil in the fabrication of the product.

Paint, plastic, ink, almost anything you find anywhere was created with oil, or the use of oil.

just about the only thing you could find around the house that dosent have oil in it would be, un-varnished un-painted wood furniture.
and your food, that comes in plastic bags... made from oil

we are addicted to it, and there is no easy way out :/
IP IP Logged
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 27/September/2006 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Verdant Force

just about the only thing you could find around the house that dosent have oil in it would be, un-varnished un-painted wood furniture.

what about the glue? you could however finish it with linseed oil. yes it's oil, but it's not a petrochemical.

the US is the worlds largest greenhouse gas polluter, and as much as 30% of that comes from transportation, so while a new power source for US transportation needs wouldn't be a cure-all, it would make a worthwhile dent.

if any of you guys have the History Channel you should see if you can find their episode Modern Marvels on Renewable Energy (also not where i got my info from above). it premiered just last week so you might catch it. there's great ways to produce energy for supercap cars, it just takes commitment.

one thing is for damn sure though. if we do nothing, it's going to get a LOT worse.
IP IP Logged
akribitz
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote akribitz Replybullet Posted: 27/September/2006 at 4:48am
vegetable powered diesel engine ftw
IP IP Logged
NaeBlis
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote NaeBlis Replybullet Posted: 27/September/2006 at 10:16am
Having a place to start is a lot better than completely ignoring the problem. While the car alone doesn't solve poultion problems, it's a heck of a way to have lower transportation costs. 

And most of the US's energy comes from coal, which produces most of the CO2. I'll give the coal industry some credit for trying to find a way to cut down on emissions, i'm sure you've all heard of the "clean coal" method.

Fid's right though, renewable energy will be very big in the comming years. With the development of photovoltaic film which is a lot cheaper to make than cells we're looking at possible energy independence for the average family. Or at least a big step towards it.

Of course we need oil, but even my Dad, who's a very experienced Petroleum Engineer, agrees that we only can use oil for so long until we can't sustain global demend. We'll never "run out" of oil, but the price of looking for/extracting will become too hard and expensive for the globe to rely on. A large percentage of oil is in deep water, but it's really hard to get

It's not necessarily going to be easy, but I am an optimist when it comes to human resoursefulness and the development of new technology.

Teh Nibblies
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version