Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Dante's inferno & Conrad's Heart of Darkness Post Reply Post New Topic
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote ap0ck Replybullet Topic: Dante's inferno & Conrad's Heart of Darkness
    Posted: 01/December/2006 at 9:28pm
has anyone read these? iv'e been penning alot of rhymes lately and my roomate hooked me up with these books, she said there dark etc right up my alley, just wondering your thoughts

IP IP Logged
Jbanicar
Officer
Officer

Quote Jbanicar Replybullet Posted: 01/December/2006 at 9:51pm
Satan is pretty dark, these days; hit him up.
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 01/December/2006 at 10:01pm
I've read Dante's Inferno. Very good read.
IP IP Logged
SPRIGAN
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SPRIGAN Replybullet Posted: 02/December/2006 at 5:20pm
I ironiclly read dante's purgatory in jail, but not inferno.
IP IP Logged
NaeBlis
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote NaeBlis Replybullet Posted: 02/December/2006 at 5:38pm
I've read heart of darkness, it's a great book. Apocalypse Now is based off of it.
Teh Nibblies
IP IP Logged
donut
Groupie
Groupie

Quote donut Replybullet Posted: 03/December/2006 at 11:38am

we had to read those in high school I think, they were good but having to disect everything about them kinda ruined it for me

IP IP Logged
Interpol
Advisor
Advisor
Sentinel Wannabe

Quote Interpol Replybullet Posted: 03/December/2006 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by donut

we had to read those in high school I think, they were good but having to disect everything about them kinda ruined it for me

The dissection of books ruins every book they offer you. It's no surprise to me that I've read much more outside of the school system, than I ever did when I was attending.
IP IP Logged
[Hoe]
Groupie
Groupie

Quote [Hoe] Replybullet Posted: 03/December/2006 at 8:44pm

My 10th grade AP English class was the best. The first day our teacher gave us a book list, list of test days for those books, and when we took the test (all essay) if we could argue our point of view we would get most of the credit, even if the answer was not the normal expected answer.

In class every day we would watch movies based around the book we had to read at that time. While we had to read Once and Future King we watched Monty Pythons Holy Grail, Excalibur and Disneys Sword in the Stone. Tests had extra credit questions from the movies or how the book was adapted to film.
IP IP Logged
BoothRedux

Quote BoothRedux Replybullet Posted: 04/December/2006 at 3:32am
Originally posted by NaeBlis

I've read heart of darkness, it's a great book. Apocalypse Now is based off of it.

both books are pretty intense if you can sit through them.  And yes they are both "Dark" Inferno deals with 9 layers of hell and Heart of Darkness is about imperialism in Africa and a persistent darkness.

one of my favorite excerpts from any book is (Sorry its so long dont have to read) from Heart of Darknes:

"Destiny. My destiny! Droll thing life is -- that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself -- that comes too late -- a crop of unextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid scepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary. If such is the form of ultimate wisdom, then life is a greater riddle than some of us think it to be. I was within a hair's-breadth of the last opportunity for pronouncement, and I found with humiliation that probably I would have nothing to say. This is the reason why I affirm that Kurtz was a remarkable man. He had something to say. He said it. Since I had peeped over the edge myself, I understand better the meaning of his stare, that could not see the flame of the candle, but was wide enough to embrace the whole universe, piercing enough to penetrate all the hearts that beat in the darkness. He had summed up -- he had judged. "The horror!" He was a remarkable man. After all, this was the expression of some sort of belief; it had candour, it had conviction, it had a vibrating note of revolt in its whisper, it had the appalling face of a glimpsed truth -- the strange commingling of desire and hate. And it is not my own extremity I remember best -- a vision of greyness without form filled with physical pain, and a careless contempt for the evanescence of all things -- even of this pain itself. No! It is his extremity that I seem to have lived through. True, he had made that last stride, he had stepped over the edge, while I had been permitted to draw back my hesitating foot. And perhaps in this is the whole difference; perhaps all the wisdom, and all truth, and all sincerity, are just compressed into that inappreciable moment of time in which we step over the threshold of the invisible. Perhaps! I like to think my summing-up would not have been a word of careless contempt. Better his cry -- much better. It was an affirmation, a moral victory paid for by innumerable deaths, by abominable terrors, by abominable satisfactions. But it was a victory! That is why I have remained loyal to Kurtz to the last, and even beyond, when a long time after I heard once more, not his own voice, but the echo of his magnificent eloquence throw to me from a soul as translucently pure as a cliff of crystal."

you should also check out "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibrahn - i dont know how they'll work lyrically but you can get a good bit from T.S. Elliott's "The Wasteland"/"The Hollow Men"http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~evans/hollow.html as well
Lies become legend, but fear is forever.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version