Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Other Games
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : Other Games
Message Icon Topic: Fallen Earth Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Midnyght Replybullet Topic: Fallen Earth
    Posted: 23/August/2009 at 1:20am
Has anyone checked out Fallen Earth

its supposed to be a mmo with the shooting accuracy of a fps with rpg elements

http://www.fallenearth.com/
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 23/August/2009 at 1:26am
combat explanation:

Don’t Just Stand There... Defend Yourself!

In the world of Fallen Earth, it’s all too easy to find yourself caught up in armed conflict, so it’s essential to be prepared. The game uses FPS combat that is backed up with RPG mechanics, which means that it combines a shooter-style aiming reticle with attacker and defender statistics in order to determine the results of combat. At its core, the combat system has three important elements: the reticle, hit calculation, and damage calculation. 

The Reticle

When you’re in Aim Mode, you’ll see a set of crosshairs at the center of the screen. That’s your targeting reticle, which is basically the sight you’ll use to aim every weapon in the game. To enter Aim Mode, hit the F2 key or click the middle mouse button. Reticle size matters—the smaller the reticle, the more accurate your attack will be. Remember, there is no aiming help here—no sticky targeting, no auto-aim—nothing but you, your weapon, and your target.

Hit Calculation

Once you have a target in your sights and you pull the trigger or swing your club, then the math and dice rolls begin. When you click your mouse, the system picks a random point inside your reticle for the attack. The higher your skill with the weapon and the slower you move, the tighter your grouping will be, making your attacks more accurate. The system checks the selected point to see if there’s a target there. If so, you score a hit. Otherwise, it’s Maggie’s Drawers—a swing and a miss.

Damage Calculation

If you hit, then the system compares your skill to the appropriate skill on the target: Dodge for a Pistol or Rifle attack, or Melee Defense for a melee-style attack. The defender’s skill can raise or lower damage amount and provides the chance for a critical hit. After that, the target’s armor, special abilities, mutations, and usable items come into play, which potentially mitigates the amount of damage done. Damage is also affected by where you hit the target. A shot to the head does more damage than a hit to the leg.

Weapons

There are three fundamental weapon classes in Fallen Earth, each with its own quirks. A rifle is a handy weapon to have in the desert. On an open plain where you can see for miles in any direction, the 100-meter range of the best rifles gives sharpshooters a distinct advantage. Characters armed with melee weapons or pistols will have to find a way to close the distance by using the terrain. On the other hand, the speed and devastating damage of a melee weapon gives brawlers the upper hand in close-quarters, urban environments, and in forests where the line-of-sight is limited. A character specialized with the rifle in this kind of situation will need to rely on special attacks or switch to another weapon. Pistols are a jack-of-all-trades that can be used both close-in and at range, but they aren’t as powerful as their specialized counterparts.

Special Abilities

All characters have a selection of special abilities that augment the basic FPS combat system. For instance, a character with a sufficiently high Pistol Skill can learn the Pistol Whip special ability to knock down an enemy during a close-quarters fight. Rifle experts have a similar ability, called Rifle Smash. Special attacks can increase damage, introduce status effects (like knockdown and stun), or even debuff an opponent’s abilities. Defensive special abilities like Armor Maintenance and Second Wind can boost your armor rating temporarily and increase your Stamina, respectively.

Hit Points and Healing

All characters finish the tutorial at level 2. Characters gain 5 hit points each time they level up, but this can be improved by as much as half if a character maxes out his or her Strength and Endurance attributes.

Players can heal one another and themselves in several ways. They can use First Aid Skills, like Stanch Wound and Heal Poison, to restore hit points and remove deleterious effects. These special abilities consume a quantity of stamina each time they’re used. Characters can also use medical items created by crafters in a similar fashion. Finally, Healing Mutations can relieve wounds and damaging effects, though using mutations costs the healer Gamma (and sometimes hit points) for the effort. Healing effects are stackable, so healers are free to combine any of these methods in order to keep a teammate (or themselves) alive.

Death

When a character’s hit points are reduced to zero, he or she is incapacitated for up to five minutes. During this time, a teammate may resuscitate him or her with an appropriate mutation ability or medical item; otherwise, he or she will automatically resurrect in the nearest LifeNet pod at the end of the wait. Of course, a quick trip to the LifeNet pod is available for anyone who doesn’t want to wait out the full five minutes.

When a character resurrects, he or she suffers penalties to either their XP or stats. The more often a character dies in a short span of time, the greater these penalties become. In no case does a dead character leave a lootable corpse behind, so there’s no stealing a player’s gear, mount, or vehicle.

It sounds like it might be worth taking a look at. There is aiming - no auto lock on, hit boxes such as more damage to head then arm, and rpg elements that help increase your aim, damage, and defense. Plus it looks like a cruel world.
IP IP Logged
Xenetic
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Xenetic Replybullet Posted: 23/August/2009 at 10:13am
I tried it, uninstalled as soon as I found out I couldn't jump and turn at the same time. You have to turn, then jump. The feel of a character is important to me.

IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 05/February/2010 at 7:45am
There is a free 14 day trial on their website I will be checking it out this weekend from what I've read they fixed a lot of issues.

http://www.fallenearth.com
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 08/February/2010 at 1:08pm
Not a bad game didn't get a ton of playing time, was to busy shoveling snow and watching hockey and football.

It is a true MMORPGFPS, no auto locking on target if your cross hairs are not on the target you miss. More damage is done depending on your stats, weapon stats, and where you aim. Such as a head shot is more damage then a chest shot and a chest shot is more damage then an arm or leg shot. You get mount at level 1 and can attack off your mounts, mounts range from horses to vehicles, you have to fuel your mounts. In certain areas I experienced a little lag. Like 95% of everything in game is craft-able so its a player marked, crafting is timed based so basically you get the items and craft it and in 2-10 mins you get the item but you can travel and do missions while you wait. Crafting is easy gather/harvest the materials and then craft them. Gathering and Harvesting is top notch in this game.

Lots of missions around to do, the game is challenging not super easy. It can be easy to die if you bite off more then you can chew. I got randomly invited to a Clan so I joined it to see what that was like so experimenting with it...the one I joined has 450 people in it.

I have not experienced PVP yet.

Character building at the beginning is okay, the stats, class, and faction building in the game is top notch you get a lot of room to do what every you want. You choose a faction in the game not during character creation and you don't have to choose a faction right away.

Will be dabbing in it here and there. Not sure if I am going to buy it.
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 08/February/2010 at 2:39pm

The mechwarrior mod for crysis and the new battlefield bad company 2 beta is about all i'm playing these days.   I already preordered bf bad company 2 for PC so that's where i'll be come march.    I don't have time for anything else .

Ball punching for Teh Win!

IP IP Logged
SNIKT
Advisor
Advisor

Quote SNIKT Replybullet Posted: 08/February/2010 at 11:14pm
organized pvp in that game is fast and sick. Alot like old SWG.

played til lvl 16. Was ok.
psychic powers are the game breaker.
so many disables and huge damage.

My friend loves his sniper rifle
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 14/February/2010 at 4:59pm
Got more playing time this week, been enjoying playing it casually while watching the Olympics.

Still haven't done pvp...I have two characters be experimenting with weapons and so forth...Laylos which I plan on making Enforcer faction and Midnyght which I plan on making Traveler faction....been playing Midnyght more.
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 15/February/2010 at 1:04am
I would check out both that Crysis mod(do you need the expansions Goff?) and Fallen Earth if my internetz was better.

Basically I am on a crappier than DSL wireless with speeds hovering around 500-600kpbs, so I get downloads at a BLAZING FAST 30-40kbps, instead of my old cable 6mbps line of 300-500+ on good links. The joys of living in an RV. :{

Going into this endevor designed to save money while my wife gets on disabilities, I knew the internet was going to be slower, but I had no idea it was gonna be this bad. Lot of discconects too, web pages take like 25+ seconds to load...just a nightmare.

I am counting the days we can move into Downtown Portland and I can get a piece of the new 20mbps lines.
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 15/February/2010 at 8:14am
I hate when there is anything wrong with my connection speed.

It gets laggy in the larger towns while its loading the surroundings.

Yeah, not sure if I am going to buy it or not, I am leaning towards it to try it out for the free 30 days...game is only $30 so its not a big hit...but I might just stick to MW2 and PS for now.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version