Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Planetside
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : Planetside
Message Icon Topic: SONY takes down Planetside?? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 13/May/2011 at 1:16pm
so yeah
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 13/May/2011 at 9:26pm
/discuss

taken from another a memeber in brbuninstalling clan i'm in for tf2 and the fact heresjohnny is in it.   Old vs chum.

I'm pretty sure this is the biggest gaming disruption of all time. And a huge fuckup.

I mean, it's not on-par with trash-collection not happening for a whole month (which actually threatens public safety), but it is like HBO going off-the-air for a whole month (in terms of the number of people who's daily routines are affected, not sure about revenue impact), and has the added sting of potential identity/credit fraud. Maybe even more revenue impact than one cable network, maybe two.

It's a longshot, but this could be a serious albatross that eventually sinks Sony (or, more likely, whatever strategic business takes fall...PSN i guess...provided they have good legal firewalls between business entities.).

more tl:dr stuff for yall...

I'm going to be very very surprised if the AG of Mass doesn't hit Sony like a ton of bricks over the new Mass Data Privacy law ($5k per violation.)

Let's say 100 million Sony accounts compromised. Arbitrarily, 25% are international (wild guess). That leaves 75 mil. Let's assume it is evenly distributed by states (it is not, Mass would have more Sony gaming customers per capita than the US median, but whatever). 75,000,000 divided by 50 = 1,500,000. 1.5 mil customers. With 5 grand per violation that's (pulling pinky finger to mouth) 7.5 beeeelion dollars.

Even if my napkin estimates are wiiiildy inaccurate, let's revise that down from 1,500k to just 300k customers from MA breached. 300k x 5x = 1500,000,000. That's 1.5 BIL in damages for one state. (three times more than GOOG's recent settlement with the DoJ for 500mil).

Annnnd, once you cascade all the bad press that a 1.5 bil suit would generate against sony, indie developers (who are losing out on revenue now) abandoning the platform, customer dissatisfaction, ... it looks grim.

and I didn't even mention Sony's liabilities to the credit card lenders for fffffucking up with PCI, which will likely leave sony on the hook for fraud resultant from stolen credit cards....

...BRB, uninstalling SOE.

(caff, if this plays out, wouldn't it be funny if they needed to sell off some of their IP franchises for cash....)

((also, for those of you playing at home, you know that Nintendo, who's last two platforms (Wii and DS) basically PRINTED MONEY, is releasing a new console soon. Yes, the 3DS sucks ass but 1) nintendo can afford the flop and 2) who is going to take over the portable market....NOT SONY NOW (but maybe apple...diff story)).

(((Howard Stringer activates GO GO GOLDEN PARACHUTE before old man time ushers in 2012))).
Ball punching for Teh Win!

IP IP Logged
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 14/May/2011 at 3:56am
with $77.2 billion annual revenue for 2010, they'll weather the storm, but they may have done irreparable damage to the playstation brand. sony saw a 70% increase in reveue from psn in 2010. since they were in business before the increase, they'll be in business should it disappear.

however, this is not out of character for sony. remember betamax? how 'bout minidiscs? how 'bout memory sticks? how 'bout walkman? how 'bout universal media disc? and i'd be willing to bet in 10 years people will say "remember blu-ray"?

the question is, how long until people say "remember the playstation?" like they do about the sega, coleco, intellivision, and atari systems?

this may have hastened those questions, but as long as there are japanese people who want a shiny new black gadget from a japanese company, sony will be in business.

as for the guy above, is he referring to the $500 milltion that google set aside for a potential settlement pending the result of a department of justice investigation into pharmacy ads? in any case, it has nothing to do with a privacy security breach.

sony is probably also more concerned with german privacy laws than the massachusetts attorney general, especially since some german bank account numbers were also nabbed.

someone should gently inform him of the problem with pulling numbers out of your ass; they're usually crap, and worth as much.

he's right about one thing though, it's a huge fuckup.
IP IP Logged
SNIKT
Advisor
Advisor

Quote SNIKT Replybullet Posted: 14/May/2011 at 7:45pm
So PS is back up. Most other games got freebies, not PS. Besides the 45 days free game time that everyone got.
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 15/May/2011 at 3:43pm
Yeah PS is free for 45 days for everyone
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 16/May/2011 at 10:58am
The problem with SOE and Planetside is they screwed everyone for so long and I am not sure if anyone really gets it.

- Population falls
- They promised development and different development came not what they said they were going to do.
- Population continued to fall
- They added Advertisements promising more development.
- Development never came.
- In a time when population was low they raised sub fees instead of lowering them
- They promised more development.
- Development never came.
- They promised other development.
- Finally Development came and they beta tested the development.
- The Development never came to the game.
- They talked about Planetside Next coming out and said current subscribers will be first to beta test...rumored March.
- More resubbed but No Beta test has come yet.
- Subs ended and still No beta test.

This has been going on with the life cycle of this game really. They have never cared about Planetsides players enough to do anything in my opinion. I wouldn't be suprised if PS was kind of a joke around SOE..."we will just tell them this they will believe anything".

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version