Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Recommendations for New PC Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tybox Replybullet Topic: Recommendations for New PC
    Posted: 24/September/2005 at 3:59pm

What you think?

First off Dell or Alienware?

P4 or AMD 64?

Graphics card?

Would probably get this in about 3 months so keep that in mind.

IP IP Logged
Jbanicar
Officer
Officer

Quote Jbanicar Replybullet Posted: 24/September/2005 at 4:08pm

Custom order your parts with an AMD64 set-up; AMD is both cheaper and just as good as their P4 brethren.  The money you will save can then be spent maxing out your RAM slots and/or a nicer video card + nicer motherboard.

Of course, I suggest the above because we have quite a few friends who can put it together for us; so, it isn't usually that big of a hassle anyway.

But your origional question, as it stands, I would: go AMD over Pentium.  In choosing between Dell or Alienware, I would go Dell cause they seem more user friendly and reliable.  Graphics card: anyone that was the "new thing" 6 or 8 months ago, which in 3 months from now, will be even more cheap.

IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 24/September/2005 at 4:16pm
Yeah I think I will buy items and put it together that way, my buddy can build things pretty good.
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 24/September/2005 at 4:39pm
Stay away from the PC vendors unless you are a complete n00b who knows nothing about building a computer, or don't have a friend to build it for you. Unless of course you have tons of money to just waste by over paying.

AMD64 is definately the way to go for gaming. The single core (IE: 3800+, 4000+ etc.) are currently the kings of gaming. The new AMD X2's are more for multi tasking; graphics rendering, video editing etc. They are still good for gaming, but the single core A64's are better. The A64 4000+ is an AMD FX-53 relabled as 4000+.

As for graphics card, I would pick up either the 7800GTX for GT. In 3 months the price on the cards should drop a couple bucks. If that is still too rich for your blood then perpahs a 6800GT, they are pretty cheap right now, and still awesome cards.
IP IP Logged
Khemosabe
Officer
Officer

Quote Khemosabe Replybullet Posted: 24/September/2005 at 5:27pm

As with everything else... it depends.  Visit the Dell Outlet and look at the refurbed systems, they're pretty damn cheap and I've bought 3 for myself and relatives in the last year and a half and had zero - thats right - zero zip zilch nada problems with any of them.  Of course if you want AMD you have to go elsewhere.  Building your own is a good way to go also, but I deal with computers all day every day at work and I prefer not to have to work on mine when I get home.  Just my $0.02.

IP IP Logged
w1ndex
Groupie
Groupie

Quote w1ndex Replybullet Posted: 25/September/2005 at 3:26pm

I have built and maintained my systems for many years. I started out similar to you. I got sh*tty service from alienware (not to mention the sticker shock) which promted me to build my very first. Ever since it has been one heck of a ride.

Currentset up:

Athlon64 +3200

MSI neo (something or other) mobo

ATI radeon 9800pro 256 AGP

1GB value ram ddr400

SB audigy2 plat

If I wasnt leaving in january I would be upgrading. I usually upgrade every fall/winter. I would switch to a PCI express card thats more current, maybe a motherboard with more RAM capacity to start. From there expand ram upgrade cpu.

Building your own is rewarding and simple. If you have questions feel free to ask there are alot of folks here with tons of experience. Plus building your own is very cheap. Try www.pricewatch.com for the best and most current prices.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 25/September/2005 at 4:12pm
I miss windex 
IP IP Logged
nader cant login =(
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote nader cant login =( Replybullet Posted: 26/September/2005 at 9:39am

dont rule out dual core for gaming use... i have a dual core processor, and that allows me to get 50+fps in a red alert while recording with gamecam =)

anyway, definitely go AMD for gaming, a64 4000+ are really nice for overclocking, and not too expensive.

im an ATI person at heart, but i have to say nvidia are on top of the video card market right now, 7800gtx is a beast.

IP IP Logged
Protic

Quote Protic Replybullet Posted: 29/September/2005 at 6:53pm
www.tigerdirect.ca (canadian) www.newegg.com . usually u can get a decent 'barebones' system. But ya AMD64 4000+ is the way to go for processors, barebones will usually come without a HD and sometimes without RAM and without windows which usually reduces the price quite a bit when u buy these things seperately (and just download windows or borrow from a friend) Go for the PCI express MB and video card if you can afford it, AGP will be gone within 3 years.

as far as planetside performance a new computer is not always the solution, managing, and maintaing your computer and paging file is something u should always be doing, check out http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/board/message?board.id=p stechsupport&message.id=5936  for tips on that.
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 30/September/2005 at 11:25am
Stay the hell away from TigerDirect...

Unless they are different in canadia, they're the skeezy flea market of computer retailers..

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version